The Unspeakable Deep is a Boss in Salt and Sanctuary
A Kraekan in its most common form. Creatures like these once had a name, but sailors so feared possibly conjuring one by speaking its name that referring to them as simply the Deep became widespread. Whatever their true name is, it has since been lost to the deep, dark sea."
- Prologue of the game
- Boss Flags: Sends players to the Shivering Shore.
- Attack Types: Physical, Knockback
- Weak vs: Elements
- Strong vs: Slash and Strike
- Delayed Jump Attack - leans back and jumps, both body and landing deal damage.
- Fist Slam - slams in front of himself with one arm.
- Both Fists Slam - slams with both fists at once, executed faster than if with one arm.
- Combos are slightly faster.
The Unspeakable Deep is slow but hard hitting boss, his attack patterns are very easy to read but in most cases one hit is enough to take down whole health of your character. Equip load under 25% is advised for fast rolling behind his massive body and doing up to 1-2 attacks before switching sides and going for next attack. With careful play and patience, one can bring it down eventually.
There is only a single chance to beat him per character (cannot fight again in New Game+), if you fail to beat him you must create a new character from scratch. To get through the game intro fast, press A to skip the text and then remove enough clothing to get <25% equip load for fast roll. Jump over the first NPC, rolling past the enemies and out the door before they catch up.
Cleric is one of the easiest classes to beat him with, since not only does it start with a damaging weapon (the Mace) but it also starts with blessed pages and Mend. The cleric should remove their pants to get fast roll and they will be able to survive a single hit and heal back to full health, meaning they can get hit at least four times before dying if they can escape to heal up (but only indirectly, e.g. leaping or shockwave, getting hit by his overhead fists is an insta-kill). Utilize the blessed pages for more damage output and get next to him, rolling past him whenever he attacks or leaps and hitting him a couple times. If he gets too close to the edge you can bait him forward.
Pauper's pitchfork does a lot of damage to him with its strong attack.
When boss dies you will only have a couple seconds to pick up the gold before the ship sinks regardless. However, it doesn't count as a death so you will still have your Salt.
- Killing him grants one of the few Black Pearls that can be found during the game (useful for a Level 1 playthrough).
- It actually makes sense to kill him, as it's one of the very few occasions you can get your hands on a Drowned Tome (two per cycle).
- The Shimmering Pearl is unobtainable until late game, unless you get it from the tutorial boss.
- While fight is long and tedious, it is worth effort for some extra gold and salt that will grant some early level ups.