Origins in Salt and Sanctuary are an option during character creation that allow for players to chose the appearance of the player character. An Origin is purely cosmetic, having no in-game effect other than providing additional customization of player characters. There are 14 Origins, most of which change the skin tone of the character, but a select few offer more significant changes to facial features such as eyes or mouths.
Origins in Salt and Sanctuary
- A northern coast duchy once ruled by Duke Carsejaw the Cruel who was infamous for his witch hunts. At war with Askaria.
- Denizens of Tristin, while still retaining the visage of humanity, bear striking differences with the rest of their kin. Tristini skin is pallid, as pale as bone, and their dark-rimmed eyes appear to be deeply-set in their sockets. Even their skulls suggest a vastly different structure than the standard offered by the rest of the origins; a mouth so wide it spans well into the cheek area of the face, grimly reminiscent of a Glasglow smile. Furthermore, they appear to have a set of massive vampire-like fangs.
- A country famous for its poisonous swamp forests, its people are tribal and live in untamed lands.
- Denizens of Kadania are fairly light-skinned, similar to those from Citadel or Coastrock.
- A country known for their katana blades, warrior-monks and giant spiders. People there are also apparently quite wealthy.
- Denizens of Kar'hi are of a fawn color, comparable to the complexion of those from Dor Isle and Askaria.
- A desert country once ruled over by the powerful Sun King, who built a massive ziggurat. That kingdom fell, and when they allied with Askaria, they began worshipping the New Gods.
- Denizens of Kulka'as feature a distinctive cream-colored marking on their foreheads, and appear all but identical to those from Jonas' Landing.
- A Federation with a massive military and large mineral resources but little forested areas. They use sand casting to mass produce metal weapons.
- Denizens of Coastrock are fair-skinned, similar to denizens of Citadel and Kadania.
- Not mentioned in the game but it may be a territory of Kulka'as due to the similar appearance of its denizens.
- Denizens of Jonas' Landing are nearly identical to the Askarian's slightly tanned complexion, but are a touch darker. They have a cream-colored marking on their foreheads, similar to denizens of Kulka'as.
- A powerful conquering monarchy that created an empire and the pantheon of The Three, also known as the New Gods. They forcibly suppressed the religion of Devara.
- Denizens of Askaria possess a tanned beige skin, similar to those from Jonas' Landing.
- Also known as the Citadel of Fire and Sky. A stone tower deep in the woods of Liven where acolytes of Fire and Sky are trained in the art of magic.
- Denizens of Citadel are of a lighter complexion, comparable to that of denizens from Kadania or Coastrock.
- A monarchy known for its forests and mages, also notorious for once having a mad queen. It is where the former society of monster hunters known as the Bloodbrows originated.
- Denizens of Liven have a dark complexion, similar to those from Taebnir.
- An area of highland clans and bustling trade cities, they popularized the claymore-like swords now widely used.
- Denizens of Dor Isle are bronze-complexioned, similar to those from Kar'hi and Askaria.
- A country that was reduced to poverty by a Dorian occupation. Its inhabitants, known as Birians, continue to worship Devara and its mercenaries were once famous for their fighting style using longswords.
- Denizens of Taenibir have mahogany skin similar to those from Liven.
- A mountainous area controlled by Askaria known for powerful warriors who dislike magic and the mining of special electric minerals.
- Denizens of Markdor are swarthy, with taupe-colored skin just slightly lighter than their neighbors residing in Taenibir.
- A forbidden demonic land with a mysterious and unknown race of people.
- Denizens of Jinderen take on a bestial, savage appearance in comparison to the other denizens of the world. Their skin is a dark ashen gray, showing a ridge of sorts above predatory eyes. While most of the denizens presented in the origins have white sclera, the Jinderen have red, coupled with vertical-slit pupils. Two small but noticable canine tusks jut past their lower lip and are visible when the mouth is closed. They appear to be the only race or subspecies of human to have visible claws on the ends of their fingers and toes.
- A toxic swamp where lizard people dwell.
- Denizens of Gulchmire are vastly different than the majority of origin appearances, taking on many aspects that suggest a lizard-like visage. Like the Jinderen, their skin is immensely different than the others, having a dull neutral green color over most of their bodies and a lighter tan along their stomach and lower chest. Their eyes are similar to the Jinderen, though the sclera is black instead of red. Though capable of growing out hair on their heads like every other origin, they appear to have a permanent bristly patch where hair grows, even when “bald.”
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
Just a question: How does people know this lore?. And another question, if Citadel were the origins that created the creed Keepers of the Fire and Sky, and created stone towers on Liven, shouldn't Pitchwoods be a part of Citadel, not Tristin? ( I'm sorry if the answer is really obvious )
It's sad that there wasn't even a snow/cold themed race. There's a***** ton of cut content that suggested a frost creed, with weapons that can do frost damage. That would've been really cool, but alas, we shall never see it be made official.
Added a new .gif, now showing all Origins!
I'm still trying to figure out why the people from Jonas' Landing is barely mentioned anywhere. Does anyone else have any helpful information. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
What's wrong with the people from Tristin? Creepy mofos
A anthropomorphic fox or deer race would be nice.
is there any difference to any of these?
I hope they add a furry race.
someone needs to update the image with Jinderen and Miregulch
What's the lore behind the origins?