PS4 and PC players can enjoy Salt and Sanctuary with their friends and loved ones via the Local Co-Op which supports 2 players. Information regarding the PS Vita release is TBC.
How to Multiplayer / Co-op in Salt and Sanctuary?
To connect a second player:
- The primary player must go to their Sanctuary, and make an Offering of a Stone Sellsword at the altar.
- Placing the sellsword statue on the altar will summon a Sellsword.
- Telling the sellsword that you’d like to “Hire” prompts a second player to pick up a controller.
- This player now gets to pick anyone in their roster, jump in, and get jolly! (NOTE: In order for the game to recognize the second player on the PS4, they have to have already made a character in a guest or second account on the same PS4.)
- There are no level or NG+ restrictions for co-op partners. You can summon your level 300 character as a sellsword for a new player or vice-versa.
How does Multiplayer / Co-Op affect my gameplay?
- Enemy HP is scaled up a hefty bit, and enemies will do a little extra damage.
- Prayers of healing aid cooperative players within a radius.
- PvP can be initiated almost anywhere.
- If A Cooperator has a key to open a door they can open the door early for the host. (NOTE: It is possible to "break" the host's game by bypassing checkpoints related to NPCs, like the Despondent Thief, etc.)
- Gold Dropped by all enemies and bosses is not shared, whoever picks it up gets the gold.
- Item Drops from enemies grant a copy to each player.
- Found items or treasure grant salt to the sellsword if already acquired by the Sellsword in their world.
- Sellswords will not receive quest rewards given by NPCs.
- Sellswords can't pick up keys or special progression items.
- Sellswords can't pick up top-level crafting materials (Shimmering Pearl, Drowned Tome, etc. Any preset loot not obtained in the Sellsword's world will be forfeit)
- Sellswords can't pick up found Black Pearls. (NOTE: Picking up a Black Pearl that the Sellsword has not found in their world will result in the loss of the item for them)
- Sellswords can interact with and buy items from any vendor on the host world. (Creed that the Sellsword is not a member of aside from the starting three may not provide all services)
- Sellswords cannot place their creed item nor give offerings at a sanctuary.
- Sellswords cannot enter the endgame area after the final boss*.
- Any brands the sellsword has in their world will be nulified to match the host world and vice versa, the sellsword gets the hosts brands
*Jolly Co-Operation and Endgame
It is possible, when fighting the final boss co-operatively, that the host might die. Should this occur, sellswords will be able to enter the endgame area.
What does this mean for you?
- Sellswords cannot end the game by initiating the final conversation with the Scarecrow NPC
- However, sellswords CAN initiate the other final cutscene of the game
- This will provide the ending of the game for the sellsword character, as opposed to the character to whom the world belongs
- Following the endgame, the host character will be placed immediately into the next New Game cycle
- Should the sellsword character initiate the final ending, exiting the program will prevent the game from finishing and entering the next cycle, HOWEVER this comes at the cost of any salt held by the host (needs confirmation). In addition, the final boss will be restored to life.
How to PvP?
Crushing an egg in the universe of Salt is a tradition of war, meant to signify the commencement of battle. As such,
- Crushing an Egg of Wrath immediately initiates PvP.
- Once battle has begun, it cannot end until someone dies.
- The fallen companion will be found alive and well in the next sanctuary you visit.